One of the best perks of being a Maverick is the unique opportunity to make a positive IMPACT on our world.
About twice a year, we participate in fundraising trips that aren’t just about donating money but also about mentorship and shared idea exchanges.
As a Maverick member, you get to be a part of CHANGE in the lives of young entrepreneurs and start-ups, as well as in the growth and infrastructure of Non-Profit Organizations. We seek out incomparable opportunities to support causes that are positively affecting the social and economical infrastructures of our world – and our efforts are making a difference.
Here are some Maverick IMPACT updates:
Maverick Annual IMPACT Trip to Haiti
It all started in February 2011. Fifteen Maverick members and friends stepped off of a plane into what was later described by Yanik as “an ultra chaotic scene” at Port-au-Prince in Haiti. This was the Maverick’s first IMPACT Trip to Haiti, and no one knew what to expect.
2016 will be Maverick’s 6th trip to Haiti! Members will spend quality time with orphans, tour villages built by Maverick donations, and brainstorm ways they can make an even greater IMPACT. The Maverick IMPACT Trip to Haiti is coordinated by Maverick member #35 Doug Doebler. He, along with our cause partners Scott Bonnell of Hope for Haiti and Frank McKinney’s Caring House Foundation, are hard at work coordinating this year’s trip.
The dates have been secured: June 1–4 2016. Click here to learn more!
The spirit of Haiti is getting stronger. Things are changing. Haiti is healing and the people have grabbed hold of hope and are beginning to soar above the ashes of their disaster. Maverick is honored to have been a part of this transformation.
Village Enterprise (VEF)
The mission of VEF is to equip people living in extreme poverty with the resources to create sustainable businesses. Their goal is to help create a world free of extreme poverty and chronic hunger where people have the means to sustain their families. They have made a strategic decision to direct their poverty alleviation efforts to people living in extreme poverty in rural, sub-Saharan Africa.
We had the privilege of working with Village Enterprise at the 3X Maverick Multiplier Retreat that took place in February 2015 in Whistler, BC. Since then, a micro group of Maverick1000 members has been meeting with VEF biweekly to coach them as they make several postive “upgrades” to their organization. One thing’s for sure, things are movin’ and shakin’ at the VEF Headquarters! Check out the update we received from Lucy and Simone below.
Village Enterprise Update to Mavericks
October 1st, 2015
Thank you Mavericks, for your infusion of time, talent, and money into Village Enterprise! We want you to know that WE HEARD YOU, and are hard at work with our MAVE (MAverick-VEF) team on many of your recommendations.
Here is an update on Village Enterprise’s key accomplishments just this year:
- Started 2,750 new businesses in rural Kenya and Uganda, trained 8,250 new business owners, and positively impacted the lives of more than 55,000 East Africans.
- A shout-out in the NYT from two-time Pulitzer prize winner Nick Kristof on the effectiveness of the Village Enterprise program–the #1 publicly know evangelist in VE’s sector.
- Presentation of our ground-breaking study on creating YOUTH GENERATED BUSINESSES in Uganda in conjunction with US AID in Washington D.C.
- Launch of the new Akina Mama network—a cause marketing initiative—that links U.S. based women entrepreneurs with their East African counterparts.
- Launch of the “Most Significant Change Series” that highlights stories of transformative personal change on an individual basis as a result of the Village Enterprise program.
- New volunteer positions created: 2 Video Interns added and a Development Fellow, entirely dedicated to retrieving stories of our business owners in the field.
- Completed our next-phase Strategic Plan.
Technical features and tools added:
- New website launch (end of November)
- Email marketing conversion to MailChimp
- Crowdfunding tool implementation: Classy
Joint work in process though our Fabulous MAVErous team
- Significant work on a segmentation strategy including an all-day Donor Persona workshop with Joey. (Board chair in attendance).
- New mail marketing strategy outlined through channels identified by Corey and Shelby.
- Cameo appearance and critique of our 2015 record-breaking Spring Gala by Michael Brubeck (this time he was fully clothed).
- Hosted two video production summer interns who received coaching on story development by MAVE team and the talented Alex Kane!
- Incredibly helpful insight from the content Divas: extensive research and microfinance “Deep Dive” with Shelby’s team.
- Developed Google Adwords strategy with Adwords expert, Guillaume Devinat, including thorough microfinance ‘Keywords’ research and compilation.
- Support in identifying new tools Village Enterprise can to use for to improve our business
Last but not least, we would like to THANK YOU for the almost $15,000 we have received in new donations. Your investment in Village Enterprise is being used to start 30 new businesses, train and mentor 150 new entrepreneurs, and lift 600 women, children, and men out of extreme poverty.
Way to go Team MAVE!
Superhero Training Academy (STA)
At Superhero Training Academy, they empower kids to fly. They honor the genius and dreams of children, unleash their gifts as superpowers, and challenge them to be the change they wish to see in the world. With confidence, creativity, and capes, superheroes build positive character values, break through the impossible into daring adventures, and give joyful service to others.
Maverick1000 experienced firsthand the “superhero’s journey” during our 3X Multiplier Retreat in Detroit, MI. After an adventure that included a scary abandoned school, a free spirit bike ride and several team building experiences, the Mavericks sat down with Superhero Training Academy and brainstormed ways they could build their organization up to be even more effective. After a donation of $7,500, a mentorship commitment from a Maverick Champion Derek Woryn and a partnership between Team Black (micro crew of Mavericks with distinct skillsets), STA walked away ready for change and action!
We recently received an incredible update from Derek about a new development in the STA Story. After a robbery that left them feeling discouraged, Superhero Training Academy received a generous donation from Maverick brothers Ben and Matt Patton in the amount of $10,000! STA used this donation to purchase a house that will serve as their new headquarters. Check out what they have to say below:
Please pass this along to the Patton Hope Foundation!
The links in this email are of two thank you’s. When we hosted our Summer Academy we created a short thank you from us and our kids.
Then WOW- we quickly learned that big changes were in order for our organization and have since put that donation to BIG use. We are excited to show how we’ve used the donation so far and share the impact that you, Patton Hope Foundation, will help us create.
THANK YOU!! We’re excited to keep you in the loop of our continued developments, and show you our progress as we realize a world of heroes.
Ben and Matt, thank you for being the Superheros that you are!